Sunday 2 January 2011

Pattern Review Butterick 5351

Inspiration for this dress is from the fabric itself, but then that's just about always the way when you work at Gardams.
I arrived at work and noticed the fabric immediately, I'm a sucker for any type of Hawaiian or hibiscus print and thought this screamed Christmas, the colours were perfect. I jumped on the pattern books straight away. This pattern was perfect,Butterick 5351, I decided on view B (the brown dress) as it had pockets and I also love pockets.













The fit of the pattern was great though I did need to take it in at the bust and waist as I cut a size larger than usual (I think I was preparing for the Christmas spread).It went together like a dream, it didn't take very long at all. The only problem I encountered was the band at the top, it is just a bias strip so it stood away from my chest when I tried it on. I think this would happen to anyone with a decent bust. I rectified this with a dart either side near the strap, in the print you don't notice this. I think next time I will make a shaped band pattern piece.




A closer view of the band and you barely see the darts.




I was really happy with this pattern and think I'll try view D next time (the white dress) but lenghten it to make a maxi dress out of one of our summer cotton voiles.



Hope to see you in store soon!











No comments:

Post a Comment